Monday 22 June 2015

Let's start at the very beginning...

So... I have a log cabin in my garden, and this is going to be my new studio. The walls are far from sound proofed so I'm going to be doing a lot of work to bring this building up to scratch. I really want a place I can turn the volume up and not worry about the neighbours! Here are some of my initial thoughts :
  • The current lighting reminds me of a school canteen. They gotta go, replaced with spotlights...
  • I'm gonna build a room within the log cabin. There's enough space for this so should be all good. For the walls, it's gonna be a sheet of MDF, a layer of rockwool, then another sheet of MDF put together with genie clips.
  • One of the fundamental principles of this build will be to not have any parallel walls. Should help with the acoustics once the soundproofing is complete.
  • Any gaps (joins between wood etc) in the structure will be filled with some green glue.
  • Joins in MDF sheets will not be the same in each layer. This will reduce leakage. Slightly...
  • There is already an alarm system installed. The sensors can be re-homed inside the new room.
  • It also has air con, which will also have to be moved. This should help with the air circulation.

Here are some links :

Excellent forum on studio building
Genie Clips (with a good example of the wall I'm trying to create)
Green Glue
Long article from Sound On Sound
Rockwool

And here are some pictures :




I'll keep updating this blog as the build progresses... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment